Monday 2 August 2010

Day 10 Tain to John O'Groats

86 miles in 5 3/4 hours. Done it!! At 5.45pm I rode into John O'Groats with a huge smile on my face and a tear in my eye - job done! Photos of me under the famous signpost on my Facebook page. Day started well though difficult to ride passed the Glenmorangie distillary as I left Tain. Made good progress across the Dornoch Forth through Golspie and Brora. Huge climb up Helmsdale then some lumpy stuff before a drop into Berridale and the steepest climb of the tour - hurt like hell but managed it before lunch and a push onto Wick. To be fair John O'Groats is a little disappointing. Left with a strange cocktail of emotions. when I dreamt up the plan last autumn it seemed a step too far - even allowing for 9 months training. When I went public with my plans I'm sure lot's of people thought "yer right....". 921 miles solo in 10 days a few weeks before your 50th birthday - he must be mad! Maybe the last 10 days has proved that I am mad, though I'd like to think not. I hope it shows what can be done by anyone (and that's exactly what I am). Our bodies are remarkable things and we should be grateful for our health. Which brings me around to the main reason, to raise money for "kidneys for life" a charity that means a huge amount to me and my family. At present we've raised just over 2,000 pounds but I hope it's not finished yet - if you've not yet given just click the "sponsor me" button. Before I go just a couple more things. Firstly some numbers. 921 miles in 66 hours 53 mins in the saddle is an ave of 92 miles per day in an ave of just more than 6.5 hours in the saddle each day. That's an ave speed of 13.1 mph. A hero of mine Albert Contador managed an ave of 24mph in recent Tour de France - but then again he wasn't carrying 10kg of kit with him. I've burnt 66,982 calories or an ave of 6,698 per day - little wonder I've lost over a stone. Oh and I've turned the pedals 280,910 times - no wonder my knees hurt! Gotta finish with some thanks. You have all been truly magnificent - without you I would have given up days ago. I've been sent messages from just about every continent, from people I don't even know (whoever says football supporters are crapp should drop into Burnley (FC) MAD - thank you all (particularly you Dan - UTC). To all the people I've got to know through this marvelous sport of cycling cheers boys (Murray and Tim in particular - you've been immense). To my best mate Ian - I'm sorry preparing for this event has got in the way a bit but cheers! To colleagues at work - your thoughts have kept me going. Thanks too to all the pupils, parents and governors for everything you've done - I'm immensely proud of Long Stratton High. And finally my family - in-laws, mother, brothers, cousins and my 2 sons and 2 daughters and last but certainly not least my darling wife for her immense support over the last 10 days - you are my everything. Cheers, gonna catch some sleep now, train to London early tomorrow. John

13 comments:

  1. just read your final blog - well done, well done, well done. Words too few to express our immense pride in your achievement. can't wait to see you home with the family again and then the celebrations will really begin - after you've had a rest of course!! and a nice cuddle with Victoria!!!!
    lots of love and sleep tight Nancy and Bill xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winning is about heart, not just legs. It's got to be in the right place.
    Lance Armstrong

    You've shown us all that you've got the legs and the heart. Well done, so so so proud of you, can't wait to see you

    Lots of love Vic xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Henry & Lucy send big kisses xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great effort mate. There really was never a doubt in my mind you'd make it.
    Top effort, catch up when you get home. Up for a quick spin on Saturday morning ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done John awesome achievement you should be well proud of yourself you must have thighs like arnie schwarzenegger now ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well buddy, what can I say? Of course I'd like to say that I knew you would p*ss it, but I'm ashamed to say that I was one of the 'Yer right' crowd.

    But knowing you as I have for many years, I guess I should have known that once you get an idea in your head that you would be unshakeable in your determination and grit to get the job done.... (also why you are a great match for Vic).

    "qui audet adipiscitur"

    Well done mate! Dead proud of you...

    (better get the bike out of the shed - I'm nearly as old as you!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. always been proud of you but never more than today.Now just take a lovely holiday with your wonderful family you sure earned it mumxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. David Wilkinson3 August 2010 at 08:51

    Awesome John, absolutely awesome!
    That's a truly amazing effort, congratulations on what is a memorable achievement in aid of a very worthy cause.

    Now have a rest! I need one too, as just reading your blogs have exhausted me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, wow, wow!! What an amazing acheivement John! All your family are so proud and rightly so. Congratulations. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Words cant express how proud we are of you,you are a SUPERSTAR!!!!!!! enjoy some family time you all deserve it all our love UTC xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done John mammoth achievement all round where next I wonder will this be John and his bike into Europe perhaps.....

    Fantastic journey and am afraid the rest of August will not be the same without reading your blog to find your exploits of the day.

    Look forward to seeing the pics

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, what an AMAZING achievement!!! So happy to beable to say I contributed to the money raised - going to a brilliant cause because of an incredible accomplishment and man.
    And to think the assemblies you did about your heroes...

    Well done,
    Hannah, Long Stratton High

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations you have done a really amazing, stunning trip. Well done John what a star, well done to all ur family too! Wishing you all a wonderful holiday together, safe trip home

    Jo

    ReplyDelete