Saturday 31 July 2010

Day 8 Stirling to Dalwhinnie

85 miles in 6.5 hours. Really tough day but worth all the effort - what a fabulous part of the world. I've not been able to upload photos from my mobile onto this blog but I've managed it to my Facebook page - take a look! The day started well really quick ride from Stirling to just south of Perth. Spot of lunch just north of Perth and that was main mistake of the day. I've worked off between 7,000 and 8,000 calories a day on this tour. I've not been able to consume that many calories (believe me I've tried!) as exercise takes blood away from digestive system - the result is I've lost just over a stone in weight. I didn't eat enough for lunch then ended up working very hard to get up to Dalwhinnie - result was I was totally cabbaged by the time I got here - driving rain and gusty winds didn't help much either. Worth it in the end - what an amazing isolated place in the middle of the Cairngorms - check out the location on my tracker. 90 more miles tomorrow - though hoping will be less demanding. Meeting a mate's parents in inverness for lunch and should end up in Tain. Keep up the support and comments. Thanks to all, John.

12 comments:

  1. A massive well done again my heart is so full of pride i cannot really understand how you have got so far all by yourself.Please keep eating, good night sleep well mumx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing so well, I continue to be amazed byt what you have achieved. keep pedalling, nearly there, love you xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,You are in for a right little treat today! The downhill to the bridge over the Cromarty Firth is long and flowing. If you can manage to not get blocked my motorists you can then freewheel across the whole bridge . Whooooooooosh !soooooooooo much fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing times John - best of luck with the refuelling: inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blown away now and bowing down to your achievement. Make the most of all those calories you can eat (Cake?)
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. David Wilkinson1 August 2010 at 09:54

    Tremendous effort John, am sure there must be less extreme ways of losing weight though! Keep the re-fueling and re-hydration going to see you right through to the end. Almost in touching distance now bud - you could probably smell it too, if it wasn't so windy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done John, keep focused on the welcome home you'll get when you get back to sunny Norfolk!!! we are all so proud of you!! All our love the Wilsons xxx UTC xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow John, we thought you could do it but your blogs have amazed us all - you are a great inspiration to us all. Just two days now and you will have achieved more than most people. Proud, proud inlaws
    lots of love Nancy and Billxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are doing fantastic. Home stretch now. Watch out for the monster if you go past Loch Ness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi John just checked your position and it told me your las update was 13 hours ago so I thinking your even nearer to the finishing line than it shows.

    I guess the summer hols wont be the same with out reading your exploits first thing in the morning ! Good luck as the end is in sight plenty of pics for the VLE and screen whe n you get back!

    cheers kevin

    ReplyDelete
  11. What you need is several sausage sarnies.
    Great performance buddy. Close to the end now - dead proud of you matey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. John, the story is amazing and you are just about to enter the stadium for the last day!!
    Everyone is with you buddy. James

    ReplyDelete